Saturday, February 9, 2019

Episode 59 - My All Time Favorite Concept Albums

In this week's episode I talk about my all time favorite concept albums and talk a little bit about the format in general. (In brief, there's a difference between a rock opera and a thematic concept album and I think it's important to recognize that.) It was a fun episode for me. Check it out!



 No time index this week because it's all one topic, but here are a bunch of photos!

The cover photo because I'm sure somewhere someone has a folder on their laptop with ALL of them sav

Pink Floyd's "The Wall" - That's an 80s-era vinyl copy.

The Who's "Tommy" - Again, and 80s era vinyl copy in back.

Shooter Jennings & Hierophant's "Black Ribbons." One of Shooters underappreciated albums that deserves to be a major fan favorite.

Queensryche's "Operation: Mindcrime" - I can't imagine how many times I must've listened to this in the 90s.

Neil Young's "Greendale" - It exists in many forms. This release is my favorite.

Dream Theater's "Scenes from a Memory" - Another album I got absolutely OBSESSED with in the early 2000s. Epic, man.

I made reference to this album in the show. Dream Theater's live take on the "Scenes from a Memory" record called "Live Scenes from New York." Which was released on 9/11/01. Any guesses as to why you can't find this cover anymore? (Image stolen from here: http://dreamtheater.wikia.com/wiki/File:Live_scenes_from_a_memory.jpg)

It was difficult to choose only one Alice Cooper record. I landed on "Welcome 2 My Nightmare," which I know is a controversial choice.

Not as difficult to choose which Bowie record, although it could've gone a couple ways.  But "Ziggy" will always be his best loved work, I think.  It's weird that I don't have this one on vinyl.

Aimee Mann's "The Forgotten Arm" - If anyone has a line on where I can get this one on vinyl, I'd appreciate it.

Lou Reed's "Berlin" - That's a FIRST PRESSING copy of the vinyl that I'm very proud to have in my collection!

Willie Nelson's "Red Headed Stranger" album. Which I also don't have on vinyl. And I've even recently gone looking for it, but didn't find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment