Sunday, October 13, 2024

Episode 189 - Missouris?

In this episode about 50% of the things I talk about aren't in the photo because that's how streaming media works! But I talk about my fountain pen collection, the Mr. McMahon documentary, The Grand Tour, Only Murders in the Building, Frasier (briefly), and music from Drive-By Truckers, Alex Lifeson, David Gilmour, Jack White, Nick Lowe, and The Heavy Heavy. I got a lot of stuff into this one! Check it out!

email: db@derekbrink.com
FREE Music: http://derekbrink.bandcamp.com

Time Index:

  • 0:00 - Intro, including my probably slightly bad take on Dave Grohl.
  • 8:32 - Losing Sleep
  • 9:02 - Fountain Pens!
  • 19:02 - Slainte
  • 19:32 - Recent Watching/Podcasts (Including Mr. McMahon, The Grand Tour, Only Murders in the Building, Frasier, and Pod Meets World
  • 33:40 - Safari
  • 34:10 - Recent Listening (Including Drive-By Truckers, Alex Lifeson, David Gilmour, Jack White, Nick Lowe, and The Heavy Heavy
  • 49:04 - Where You Are
  • Outro including updates on my chair, a quote from Jim Henson, and more.
Photos:
Here's the episode cover. The pens I talk about are in this photo, but for some reason I didn't take a photo of them on their own. Whatever. This isn't even all of them. It's just the ones I have ink in right now.

Sometimes someone will come over to the house and ask me what I keep in my card catalog. Among other things, lots and lots of ink for my fountain pens!

Here's an example of some of the inks I use. This isn't the best example...a couple of the colors look black when they're actually blue or brown or dark green. Oh well. See the really bright green? That was written with one of my more expensive pens...and that pen has a really bad bleed to it. And that ink is supposed to be "Racing Green," but that's fucking NEON.  So...y'know...sometimes the pricy stuff isn't the best. Most of the rest of these were written with pens that were between $8-15.

This is my glass pen, with a little purple on the tip. It's fun to write with, if you want a Hobbity vibe about your journaling. (And who doesn't?)

DBT released a "Deluxe" version of one of their most beloved items. It sounds great an the extras on it are pretty good. The CD version is better than the vinyl, and I get into why in the episode. (In fact I kinda go nuts about how I'm sick of vinyl...so that's fun.)

Alex Lifeson's "Victor" is finally actually findable! So I found it!

Probably Gilmour's best work since Floyd. And I don't mean "Endless River" Floyd.

Jack White's newest album is an example of both everything I like and hate about him. Did I like it more or hare it more? Find out!

A lovely little Nick Lowe album hit the stands, and if you like him, you should probably buy it.


No comments:

Post a Comment