Tuesday, March 3, 2020

3/1/20 - Prepare to Be Bored for a Second

This episode is mostly books and music. I do a deep dive into the etymology of Beowulf and then talk about things that were written in a form of English we understand. I also talk about a bunch of new music. And some other stuff. You know how I am.

Here's the player (or remember you can probably find the show on your podcast app of choice, except for Spotify--you can also download by pressing the little down-arrow on the upper right of the player):


Here's the time index:
  • 0:00 - Intro
  • 6:48 - Music Break 1 - "Not Quite Middle Life Crisis"
  • 7:18 - Books
    • Beowulf - 7:18
    • The Boy, The Mole, The Fox, and The Horse - 19:17
    • The Age of Anxiety - 24:35
    • The Rain Watcher - 29:11
  • 35:54 - Music Break 2 - "One Man"
  • 36:24 - New Albums and Stuff
    • Pearl Jam's New Singles - 36:24
    • Anti Flag: "20/20 Vision" - 41:08
    • Drive-By Truckers: "The Unraveling" - 42:07
    • ...and You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead: "X" - 45:15
    • Guided By Voices - "Surrender Your Poppy Field" - 47:34
    • Sloan Concert in St. Louis 2/15/20 - 49:11
  • 55:35 - Music Break 3 - "AMB 4"
  • 56:05 - Outro Stuff
Photos:

Here's the cover photo, for your collection.

Seamus Heaney's translation of Beowulf, which I speak about at length. It's my preferred translation. Listen to the show to find out why!

I didn't much care for this book at all but...

...isn't the art pretty?

I kind of want a book of just Mackesy's art.

Beautiful work. Just the words didn't do much for me.

It was hard for me to review this book, because I adore Pete Townshend...but...it had to be done.

I bought this book because I liked the cover. Turned out to be a wonderful read, too!

The cover has raindrops on it that shimmer in certain light. I'm trying to capture it here...

Just a really pretty, interesting cover.

Anti-Flag's new one. Lazy title, good album.

DBT's new one. Worthy of its place on the shelf.

Trail of Dead back at it with a strong release...

Guided By Voices went almost four months before announcing another new album. I was starting to worry!

Sloan shirt #1.

Sloan shirt #2

Vinyl copy of my favorite Sloan record.

A shot from the Sloan show. Taken before the show started. Just thought it looked cool.

This is Sloan's guitarist Patrick Pentland playing his flower Telecaster. Cool guitar. I put this shot on my Instagram and he shared it! :)



Thanks for your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment