Friday, May 1, 2020

5/1/20 - The Empty Checking COVID-19 SPECTACULAR!

We last met on March 1, 2020. A lot has changed since then. Like most people reading this, I've been hunkered down at home, isolating and trying to do my part in flattening the curve of COVID-19. I hope we're all taking this seriously and doing what we can. Above all else I wish you all the best and hope you're well. I'm sure we'll all get through this and good times will come again. Or not. Either way, we'll talk about pop-culture until there's nothing left to say. And this week's episode covers a lot of ground.

I would be remiss if I didn't take a paragraph to give you a link to the new album I released and talked about on the show. "Departure" is available here for ABSOLUTELY FREE.

Here's the player for the show:


Here's how the time breaks down for this episode:
  • 0:00 - Intro stuff including a "rest in peace" to John Prine and some heartfelt thoughts on COVID-19.
  • 15:59 - Music Break #1 - Lectio Divina
  • 16:30 - Music stuff including discussion of new releases from Spinning Coin, The Potomac Accord, Nine Inch Nails, Pearl Jam, Brian Fallon, Mountain Goats, Bob Dylan, and Michael Manring, among others!
  • 46:50 - Music Break #2 - Burn
  • 47:20 - Movies and TV discussion - Including Community, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, and A Stupid and Futile Gesture
  • 1:05:11 - Music Break #3 - Coronation
  • 1:05:41 - Outro stuff including a brief summary of books I've recently read and mention of my new obsession with the video game Hollow Knight
And here's a whole mess of photos! (Most photos taken by me, but I lifted a few from a Google image search. In all/most cases they're the same photos absolutely everyone is using everywhere, but if anyone claims ownership I'll be glad to swap them out for something else.)
The cover for your collection, weirdo.

This is the cover of my new album "Departure," available NOW!

I've talked about this album on the show before. We lost John Prine to COVID, so I talked about it again.

Cool jingly pop-rock from Spinning Coin.

Local to St. Louis, The Potomac Accord's new album is a definite winner.

Nine Inch Nails released two free, surprise albums that won't be for everybody, but I liked.

My expectations were low for Pearl Jam's new one...and it exceeded them by LEAPS AND BOUNDS. I don't think I've ever been so happy to be wrong about a first impression before.

Brian Fallon's new one is a gentle reminder of what's important in life and it's welcome in my player any time.

The Mountain Goats return with a really cool album and really cool production that you NEED to hear.

Dylan babbles about JFK for 17 minutes...and I listened to all of it.

Then Bob gets weird for 4 minutes in exactly the same key with exactly the same pacing. So...

One of my biggest bass-heroes released a new album, and I think everybody should hear the hell out of it!

Downloaded some music by The 88. Excellent pop-rock.

Also downloaded some Baroness. Awesome metal.

Finally got into Tom Petty. Won't look back.

I'm a couple years late on this one, sure...but finally watched it!

I'm a couple years late on this one too! And BOY do I regret sleeping on an awesome show that is the kind of thing I wish I could always watch. And now that I've got the BluRays...I can! :)

A GREAT movie that's a beautiful telling of the life-story of Doug Kenney from National Lampoon. Funny and moving. Irreverent and touching. Great flick.

I barely talked about this, but it's a great book.

I talked about this one a little more. Really loved being in this world. It was a long book but I think I finished it in about 4-5 sittings. Didn't want to stop reading!

Only took me 15 years to finish reading this one... Sure that's because I didn't pick it up for 14 of them...but whatever! Great read with some wonderful stories of teaching high school. Also pictured, a $2 bill I apparently was using as a bookmark in 2005.

I've become a big fan of this author. This one's in progress for me right now, and I'm really digging it so far.

One of the most fun and frustrating games I've played in years.


Big episode this week! We'll be back NEXT WEEK, assuming nothing terrible happens! I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment