Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Episode 102 - Mostly Musical Musings

This was supposed to be up yesterday but I found myself a little under the weather (not COVID). So it's up now. Hurrah! In this episode I talk about a bunch of stuff that's been on my mind from the world of music. I also drink too much Sherry and get really angry at Eric Clapton. (There's maybe a minor trigger warning, as I point out that Eric volunteered the information that he raped his first wife in an interview from 1999--y'know...the one he wrote "Wonderful Tonight" about...) But otherwise it's fun!

E-mail me with your questions and comments at db@derekbrink.com and maybe I'll read whatever name you provide to me on the air sometime if I feel like it!

Here's the player:


Here's the breakdown:

  • 0:00 - Intro, including a brief summary of the sad moments of the life of Kelsey Grammar and also an email from a Checkmate named Sarah!
  • 11:10 - Music Break - After the Storm
  • 11:40 - Musical Musings (Mostly!)
    • RIP Dusty Hill (14:22)
    • RIP Charlie Watts (21:23)
    • Eric Clapton is a dumb jerk (30:08)
    • Neil Young is the Anti-Clapton (37:06)
    • The Who's "Who's Next" is 50 years old! (42:28)
    • Pearl Jam's "Ten" is 30! (46:29)
    • Pearl Jam's "No Code" is also 15! (51:10)
    • And...also I talk about the Spice Girls... (52:25)
  • 55:41 - Music Break - Some People Never Change
  • 56:11 - Outro

And here are some photos--most of them include a picture of the glass of Sherry I was drinking that night:

This is undoubtedly the laziest cover shot I've ever taken.

Here's the screenshot of the ZZ Top best of in my music player...I should get at least SOMETHING in a physical product from these guys.

Here's a few Stones albums in memory of Charlie Watts. These would be among my favorites. Let it Bleed is probably at #1. But it's a tough choice.

Here's a great Eric Clapton album you shouldn't buy until after he dies.

This is the paragraph in the Wikipedia entry for Clapton that I referenced in the show. If he'd done this interview even a few years later it would've been far worse on his career. It's a pity he didn't wait.

The Anti-Clapton.

This album is 50 years old! This specific copy is 18.

These albums are respectively 30 and 15. And as I said in the show, I am very upset that I don't have a copy of the original cover. I'll fix that soon!

This album will be 25 next month, but I talked about it early, kinda!

Also this!


No comments:

Post a Comment