Thursday, February 10, 2022

Episode 115 - Nor Dark of Night, Nor Muffins

This episode took way too long to get uploaded due to a variety of errors and issues on my end...sorry! It's a little longer to try to make up for it and I might do an upload over the weekend as well. But in the meantime, in this one we're reading some listener-mail ("Checkmail," if you will!) then talking about old TV shows and new music from Elvis Costello, Punch Brothers, Billy Talent, and David Bowie! Plus other stuff! It's a good one. 

Remember that if you'd like to email me with any questions, etc you can do so at db@derekbrink.com. I always reply!

Here's the time breakdown:

  • 0:00 - Intro including some thoughts on the weather, my health, and the Olympics.
  • 9:12 - Musical Break - Hindsight
  • 9:42 - Checkmail!
    • Harrison Gurl asks about John Lennon - 12:10
    • Thom asks about Jason Isbell's "Georgia Blue" - 21:41
    • An anonymous writer asks about banned books - 34:20
  • 49:09 - Music Break - Give It Up
  • 49:39 - Talking about old TV shows like The Simpsons, Night Court, Mama's Family, and the Golden Girls
  • 1:07:18 - Music Break - Church Girls
  • 1:07:48 - New Music
    • Elvis Costello - The Boy Named If - 1:08:41
    • Billy Talent - Crisis of Faith - 1:11:18
    • Punch Brothers - Hell on Church Street - 1:13:51
    • David Bowie - Toy (aka "Toy: Box") - 1:19:10
  • 1:23:19 - Music Break - Please
  • 1:23:49 - Outro including talking about stuff I want to talk about, cats, and more.
And here are some photos:
Here's your cover photo. Neil Young Is My Co-Pilot, FYI. I look fatter in this photo than I should because I didn't know the books pulled my overshirt back so far. Oh well.

Even though my review of Jason Isbell's "Georgia Blue" isn't as glowing as you might've expected, I still bought it on vinyl AND CD. Because I'm that guy.

A few examples of some "banned books." I didn't mention all of these in the show, but they've all been banned by somebody at some point. And you'll notice they're all classics that have changed people's lives and opinions. Funny how that works.

It's nice to have Elvis Costello doing stuff I get again. Weird cover...and for some reason my CD doesn't fit entirely inside it (see right)... But it's a good album.

Featuring Rivers Cuomo! It's fine, but I think it needs to grow on me. Cool art though!

I'll be honest and say that the cover of this album is 99% of why I picked it up. I was familiar with the source material and I've been kind of in and out on the Punch Bros over the years, but that's a really pretty cover and I thought maybe it'd be a treat. But ultimately, if I want to hear Tony Rice's "Church Street Blues," I'll listen to Tony Rice's "Church Street Blues."

It's a big episode for weird covers, huh? I don't know why that's the one they went with...but the music is great. Of course it's great. It's Bowie.


No comments:

Post a Comment