Sunday, June 4, 2023

Episode 154 - Sweaty Since My Birthday

Better late than never! It was a struggle to find the time this week, but there is finally a new episode! In this one, I dive deep into talking about my new Telecaster, bid farewell to Tina Turner, and review new music from Paul Simon, The National, and Foo Fighters. That, plus commentary on a good natured cat-fight in the background. It's a fun one! Check it out! (One note: I didn't have time to re-listen. If there are any weird audio glitches, I apologize. Busy week.)

Email: db@derekbrink.com

Time Index:

  • 0:00 - Intro
    • 7:33 - Talking about my new Jason Isbell Telecaster
  • 20:44 - Untitled Guitar Riff - But it bears enough similarity to a known one, let's call it "Skuttle."
  • 21:14 - Rest in Peace Tina Turner
  • 28:56 - "Just Another Day" verse riff
  • 29:27 - New Music Releases (Paul Simon, The National, Foo Fighters)
  • 43:13 - "Bullshit" riff
  • 43:43 - Outro/Follow up on TOTK
  • 52:58 - "Just Another Day" Solo
Photos:
Here's the cover photo, with a guest appearance by one of the boys who sorts took over the show for a little while this week!

There's a lot that's cool about the Jason Isbell Signature Telecaster. One cool thing is that his name doesn't appear on the guitar anyplace! He just made a really great guitar but you don't have to tell anybody it's his signature guitar unless you want to...but why wouldn't you WANT to?

Here's the guitar body. It's reliced--which is a word guitar company's made up that means "dinged up when you buy it." Some people think it's dumb. Some people think it's cool. I think it's cool. It looks cool, feels worn in, and you don't have to feel bad if you scratch it. It manages to look gorgeous but also like it's been around the block. I dig that.

Here's the photo that his my Facebook. I think we look pretty good together!

This is the only indication that this is the Isbell signature guitar. His logo on the neck plate. If you don't know to look for it, you could easily miss it.

We lost Tina Turner. Unfortunately, this is the first thing I think of when I hear her name...but y'know...

Stolen from friend-of-the-show Jim Ousley. This is Tina Turner's star on the St. Louis Walk of Fame. People have been leaving tributes. It's lovely.

New Paul Simon! I like it, but I have one small criticism. Can you guess what it is before listening to the show? Possibly! (You win nothing, if you do!)

New Foo Fighters album. There's text on there. But good luck.

Back of the new Foos album. Again. There is text. But again, good luck. Album's pretty great though!

New National. Sounds like The National. Dumb album title. But otherwise fine.


No comments:

Post a Comment