Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Episode 156 - I Feel Like the Sun did Something Negative to Me

In this episode, I take a whole hour to talk about my trip to the Open Highway Music Festival. I saw a bunch of cool bands and had a great experience. Check it out!

Email: db@derekbrink.com

Time Index:

  • 0:00 - Intro (I feel bad leaving the cats...)
  • 9:21 - The Last Folk Singers
  • 9:51 - Open Highway Music Festival 2023 (Festival overview, food, etc.)
    • 19:30 - Beth Bombara
    • 22:16 - The Heavy Heavy
    • 24:24 - Blackberry Smoke
    • 31:00 - Talking about getting Jason Isbell's autograph...
    • 41:23 - Sleepy Rubies
    • 45:22 - SG Goodman
    • 49:28 - Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit
  • 57:57 - Outlaw
  • 58:14 - Outro
Photos:
Here's the cover photo, aka the Festival logo.

Beth Bombara, mid-word. She's a great St. Louis artist and seems to be a very nice person.

The Heavy Heavy RULED. I loved them almost immediately. A band from England doing the Laurel Canyon sound better than anyone in the last decade or two.

Blackberry Smoke. If they're the kind of thing you like, you're going to like them a lot!

The Sleepy Rubies. Sounded great when there wasn't any farting going on... (Listen to the show.)

SG Goodman might've been one of the most fun performances all weekend. Just blown away by her!

Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit absolutely KILLED it, of course!

The merch! I spent a lot!

Here's the back of the festival tee, listing everyone who was there. I saw six of the listed acts. I'm sure the others were great, but scheduling and laziness prevented me from seeing everything.

Closeup of the Jason Isbell shirt. I love that logo and it's nice to finally have it on a shirt. :)

Cool Beth Bombara shirt. It's a "baseball tee" so it's got 3/4 sleeves. I used to wear those a lot when I was very thin. Now I'm somewhere in a middleground between where I want to be and the raging fatass I was a few years ago...so this shirt may or may not be worn soon...but I like it, anyway! :)

Isbell hat! Can't believe I haven't had one of these for the past 10 years or whatever!

The Heavy Heavy's 6-song EP. There's also an 11-song version out there that I guess they just didn't take them to the show. But these six songs are phenominal.

And...the autograph!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment