Thursday, August 31, 2023

Episode 162 - SCARVES FOR ALL

In advance, a computer issue led to me not having a time-index for this episode. Sorry... But I talk about a lot of stuff! I bid farewell to Terry Funk, Bray Wyatt, Bob Barker, and Arleen Sorkin. Then I talk about music from Old 97s, Beth Bombara, Mammoth WVH, Extreme, and Gord Downie/Bob Rock. And I close out talking about the Venture Bros, Asteroid City, and by giving my two-cents on the unfortunate comments made by Alice Cooper. There's a lot going on in this one, and it's MOSTLY fun! Check it out!

email: db@derekbrink.com

Photos:

Here's the cover photo. It's not like all the other photos. It's the cover.

Old 97s hat that I bought at the show. And the Drag It Up record that I bought like 20 years ago! They're a heck of a band, if you're unfamiliar.

Quick full-band shot of the Old 97s in St. Louis. Fun night!

Got the lead singer and drummer in the same shot. One of the few shots I got of the drummer! Being in the center of the crowd often makes seeing a drummer difficult!

Murry Hammond. One of the most underrated bass players in the genre. And look at that shirt! Can anyone point me to a shirt like that???

Hi Ken! You look super-into being there! (It's just not the best picture. He seemed to be having fun!)

Beth Bombara's newest album. She's great. You should check her out, and the current album isn't a bad place to start!

Wolfgang Van Halen has released his second album (Mammoth WVH - Mammoth II), and it's so fucking good it's giving me closure on Van Halen. Listen to the show for more!

Extreme's newest album is great! And in talking about it, I also reference their "Waiting for the Punchline" album and Gary Cherone's run in Van Halen. I really did cover a TON of ground in this episode!

Gord Downie and Bob Rock also have a new album out there that is really seeping into my soul this week. If anything, in this episode, I undersell it. There are some valid observations/criticisms to be made, but in general, it's a really good album. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough about that in the show. It hasn't left my player. 

New Venture Bros. movie, to wrap up the franchise! It's a little bittersweet, as a result...but it's great. Hear me gush about it!

Wes Anderson's attempt at making a Vonnegut novel. It doesn't QUITE get there...but it does pretty well! I enjoyed it a lot. Basically, if you're a Wes Anderson fan, you'll like it...if you aren't, you won't. That's all there is to it.


No comments:

Post a Comment