Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Episode 161 - Might Be Pronounced "Jones"

This episode was recorded the week of 8/14 and delayed out of respect to a friend. Please excuse anything that seems slightly off-time for whatever week it actually is now.

In this episode, I talk about one of my basses that I've had for 30 years, then about music stuff related to Neil Young, The Band, and Bob Dylan, then about I Love Lucy. Super current subjects in this episode! :) But it's fun. I liked listening to it during editing, and I don't like the sound of my own voice. So that tells you something. Enjoy!

email: db@derekbrink.com

  • 0:00 - Intro
  • 9:19 - One Man (from Grounds)
  • 9:49 - 1993ish Ibanez EX Series Bass (Laverne)
  • 29:11 - Leave It (by union jack)
  • 29:48 - Music Stuff
    • 30:11 - Neil Young - Chrome Dreams
    • 40:31 - The Last Waltz (For some reason I say "MORTON Scorsese" at one point. Let it go.
    • 46:55 - The Rolling Thunder Review: A Bob Dylan Story
  • 52:36 - Pneuma (from Departure)
  • 53:06 - I Love Lucy
  • 1:01:38 - Lectio Divina (from Departure)
  • 1:02:08 - Outro
Here's the cover photo. It's so weird that you keep a folder of these on your desktop. And that you're completely unashamed of it. It's labeled "Empty Checking Cover Photos." You're not even hiding it. Why ARE you? Why are you like this? I think we should totally hang out, as long as you're not going to like stab me or something. Anyway...right-click, Save As...


Me with my early 90s bass "Laverne," in recent days!

Solo shot of the bass, with some friends. It's 100%, by hundreds of dollars, the least expensive guitar in this photo, but it's one of the most cherished.

A closeup of the body, to show some of the dings, dents, and Band-Aids. It's been a long road!

Wanted to show that the neck is still straight and smooth, but Jonco wanted in on the deal. :) 

A shot of the headstock.

And what would this post be without a little embarrassment? 1993ish or early 94. The purple shorts would've been Mom's idea, but I chose the t-shirt and shoes.

Here's some Neil Young for you. I think we're roughly one year away from being an exclusively Neil Young podcast...

The Last Waltz. Criterion release, of course. One of the all time GREAT concert films, even if you're not a fan of The Band. I actually don't own any Band albums. I've got some of their work with other artists. Certainly all of it with Dylan...but this is really the only Band title in my collection. And it's great.

Dylan. Rolling Thunder. The CD set is better than the "documentary." Watching the movie actually kinda pissed me off...listen to the show for why!

If there's an interview from like 1970 to the end of his life where Desi Arnaz doesn't say "...and you know what? I STILL love Lucy" then I haven't seen it. But... You know what? I STILL love Lucy, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment