Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Episode 145 - In Gord We Trust

In this episode I mostly talk about Gord Downie and The Tragically Hip, but there's also some mildly personal stuff at the start and some surprisingly deep personal stuff at the end. So it's got some layers. Make like an archaeologist and dig it!

The companion blog: http://emptychecking.blogspot.com
E-mail me: db@derekbrink.com

Time index:

  • 0:00 - Intro
  • 18:51 - Coming Storm
  • 19:21 - Gord Downie and The Tragically Hip
  • 47:44 - Give It Up
  • 48:14 - Outro and a personal story about the cats.
Photos:
Here's the cover photo, for your collection, Megan. (I assume someone named Megan has a collection of the Empty Checking cover photos and this caption will really freak them the fuck out.)

Here's the Bulleit bottle I talked about in the show. See? No fucking perforation. How do you open it without a knife? What if I'm already drunk? Do I really want to start swinging a knife at a bottle of additional happy-juice, at that point? What's the deal there. Perforate that shit, Bulleit. Otherwise...flawless.

...once you get the bottle open, it's a DAMN fine Manhattan, though. I mean, like, top-tier, I want to lick the glass when I'm done with it, Manhattan. They did it right. Because they're Bulleit. They're GOING to do it right.

Here's a smattering of Tragically Hip albums that would make for some great fucking listening, if you're looking. Maybe start with "Yer Favorites" (top, middle) if you just want the tracks that you absolutely NEED. But any of the others would be a good starting point too. The upper left is their apparently final record, "Man Machine Poem," and it's the first I bought.

The Hip BluRays. The left one is their final concert...Gord's swan-song. Even if you're not a fan, it's a deeply moving experience...and I should know. I HAD exactly that experience! And the right is a documentary of the tour leading up to the thing on the left. I'd watch them from left to right, personally...

Here's a smattering of Gord Downie's solo releases. (Basically his last three.) I have a lot more, but most of it is in my car at the time of writing and I'm not going out there at 10:30 at night and risking the cats running out after me and all that shit. Buy those. The others are great too. Whatever. Shut up. I'm tired.

I wore this shirt to work today! It's not the best angle. The shirt is slightly form-fitting and it looks like I DEFINITELY have a right-boob that I don't...but hey. Again. Shut up. It's...like...come on. Shut up. Justin Trudeau wore this shirt at the last Hip concert and made it look fuckable. What do you want from me? I'm simple.

...but I wish I could wear THIS shirt in public more often. It's just that some people are so easily offended...and there are goddamn CHILDREN everywhere! But...still... Cool shirt.


Thanks, Checkmates!

No comments:

Post a Comment