Saturday, May 1, 2021

(FINALLY!) Episode 98 - No Thread There. Just a Coincidence.

In a FREQUENTLY delayed episode (see the last couple posts for details on that) I finally talk about some of the art hanging on my walls and the subjects related to it. We cover Kurt Vonnegut, Bone by Jeff Smith, Star Trek, Rush, and Leonard Cohen, amidst the typical babbling.

Also, in two episodes, we'll be at #100! I'd like to make that episode all about the listeners, so please submit some comments and questions at either the Podbean page, the blog above, or by e-mailing me directly at db@derekbrink.com! And check out the blog for a TON of photos on this one! Thanks as always!

Here's the player:

Time Index:

  • 0:00 - Intro, including an appeal for questions for episode #100!
  • 13:45 - Music Break #1 - A new song from an upcoming album!
  • 14:15 - ART! Part One. - Kurt Vonnegut: Asterisk, etc. / Jeff Smith's Bone, by the rocks and elsewhere.
  • 47:18 - Music Break #2 - More of the same song!
  • 47:48 - ART! Part Two. - Star Trek Posters
  • 55:24 - Music Break #3 - Even MORE of the same song!
  • 55:54 - ART! Part Three. - Rush: The Canadian Gothic. / Leonard Cohen's skull and a naked lady.
  • 1:17:17 - Music Break #4 - Somehow there was still MORE of the song left!
  • 1:17:49 - Outro
Photos (there are a LOT this week!):
The cover. It's weird that you have a folder full of these.

This is my autographed Vonnegut lithograph! I hung it where it'll draw attention but not TOO much of it. And it's where I'll see it every day. Really happy with it!

I wish the photos did it justice. The Great Frame Up here in town did a spectacular job with it. The mat behind it is a dark, textured graphite that really makes the signature pop.

You can see the texture a little better here. And I love that they were able to preserve that feathered edge! If I'd done this myself it would've ended up covered up for sure.

Here's one last shot of it without me in the way. My...lampshade needs to be adjusted, I'm realizing as I type this...

Here's my signed Bone print! I got into a real selfie-with-a-thumb-up thing in these photos. This one's in an awkward place to get a photo because of the way the glass reflects the lighting in my house, but I did my best.

This is a better shot, but if you know where to look I'm kinda reflected in it. Whatever. Take my word for it! It's cool!

And here's a sense of where it is in relationship to my other interests. :)

My Star Trek posters!

The one on the left is my favorite TOS episode. The one on the right is one of the agreed first "great" episodes of TNG. I go into more detail about those choices on the show, of course, but I'm happy with them both and I thought they belonged in the same space, right outside my home office, so I'll see them pretty much all the time.

RUSH!!! (And more Star Trek stuff!) I've talked about this piece on the show before, but I couldn't not talk about it in an episode about my favorite art in my house. This piece captures part of my favorite side of the band--the goofy, fun, self-aware side that gets overlooked by people who only want to talk about (and be wrong about) Geddy's voice.

I like how this whole shelf came together. Down front that's a bottle of Chateau Picard wine made by a winery named for Captain Picard's home on the show(s). I bought a couple bottles when I was able to do it. It's actually no longer on the shelf--it's properly preserved for later drinking. Maybe I'll talk about that more on a future episode. Or maybe I'll completely forget. :)

My favorite part of the picture. If you look really close, Neil is peeking out from the curtains in the house, which just captures his personality perfectly.

My sexy, sexy, scandalous Leonard Cohen lithograph! (Notice the shocked-face!) I got it with a premium package preorder of one of his albums on his website, when he was still living. It took me close to ten years to get it in a frame for reasons I can't fully explain. It's in my home office and I see it a lot and like thinking about it.

I'm not really a fan of nude art. I just wanted one of Leonard's pieces hanging on my wall and this was the one he made available. But I do love this piece (and the frame I put it in). It's got a mystery about it and there's a lot to think about. The juxtaposition of sex and death. The medium of watercolor. And so on. It's complicated, like Leonard himself.

I actually think the skull is the most interesting part. It's the part I think about the most and have stared at the longest.


No comments:

Post a Comment