Friday, October 14, 2022

Episode 134 - An Interview with Jim Ousley (PREORDER THE ATONEMENT BELL NOW!!!)

This was a really fun episode for me, in which I basically got to fan-boy all over one of my friends for a long time. Jim Ousley has been writing cool comics, music, haikus, and other stuff for years, and his newest project, The Atonement Bell (available everywhere 11/9) is some of his best work yet, in my opinion. I was excited to talk to him about the story, but also to talk about everything else under the sun. Check it out!

As always, feel free to e-mail me at db@derekbrink.com with your thoughts and questions.

No time index this week, since it's an interview. Just sit back and enjoy it, knowing that the FULL version was 2.5 hours long, but I edited it down to and hour and 42 minutes, for your sake. :) But here are some pictures.

Here's the cover photo, for your collection.

The cover of issue #1 of The Atonement Bell. I gave to the Kickstarter, so I got to see it super-early. Anybody who reads this thing is in for a TREAT.

We talked a lot about the art in the book and how it LOOKS LIKE St. Louis in a way I've just never seen before, so I wanted to share a couple non-spoilery panels. I've definitely taken that offramp!

...and if that ain't Old North, then I'm not sure where Old North is.

Also...this! (Presently available at the "big three" record stores in St. Louis or at boyswithscarves.bandcamp.com.

Jim's previous project was Butcher Queen. It's great, too. And I think you can still find it out there if you look for it.

Apparently having this trade is becoming a bit of a rarity, after talking to Jim! Lucky me! Dead Palace does haunt my dreams a bit...which means he did his job.

Jim also put out a fun book of haikus, most of which are incredibly funny. I don't know how available this is, but I sure had fun with it. (And he wrote me a personal haiku on the back cover!)

And we just barely touched on this, but this album is probably the first Ousley-product I ever really owned. My Two Planets was (is?) a really fun band with some very catchy songs.




No comments:

Post a Comment