Thursday, March 15, 2018

Episode 29 - A Big, Fat, Irish Jambaroo!

This week's episode is as Irish as the day is long! With St. Patrick's Day approaching on Saturday, I wanted to celebrate my heritage a little bit and talk about the Irish stuff I love.  There's music from the Dubliners to the Pogues to the Chieftains to Flogging Molly to Dropkick Murphys, etc.  I spend some time talking about Irish TV and movies too, including a segment on Father Ted.  I talk about Irish literature including Angela's Ashes, a Flannery O'Connor story, and several others.  I talk about random Irish stuff including my favorite Irish adult beverages from years gone by.  There's a lot of Irish stuff in this show, is the bullet point to take away from this paragraph.

Here's the player:



Here's the time index:
  • 0:00 - Introduction and opening remarks about being Irish and St. Patrick.
  • 10:23 - Music Break #1 - "Battle Cry" from my "Grounds" album.
  • 10:54 - A brief summary of Irish music I enjoy, both traditional and not-so-traditional.
  • 26:12 - Music Break #2 - "Coming Storm" off the "Things I Meant to Say" album, which I also used last week, so please forgive me.
  • 26:43 - An even briefer summary of Irish TV and movies that I enjoy.
  • 37:44 - Music Break #3 - "A Song for Friendship" from my "Grounds" album
  • 38:19 - A slightly less brief summary of Irish literature that I think is worth your time.
  • 48:13 - Music Break #4 - "Of Death and Dying" from the "Ink-Stained Fingers" album.
  • 48:44 - All the Irish stuff I wanted to talk about that doesn't fit in one of the above categories.
  • 1:02:41 - Music Break #5 - "A Turning" from the "Out from the Light" album.
  • 1:03:37 - Closing thoughts on being Irish, the racial problem facing it, and some additional thoughts.

...and here's a bunch of photos:

Here's the thumbnail at full size, if you like that.

This is some (but not all!) of the music I discussed.

Here are a couple of the DVDs I referenced. I can't find my copy of The Quiet Man for some reason...

Here are some of the books I mentioned, and one I didn't.

This it the hat I bought this weekend. And a big, hot, Irish sweater to go with it!

I promise I only bought it with the intent of cooking with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment